Thank you for your interest in volunteer opportunities at SOTM Life Skills Center. We are very proud of the many volunteers providing their times and talents in making a difference in the community. SOTM, Inc. is able to fulfill its mission because of its volunteers. There are many ways you can make a difference by giving of your time. Our volunteers are truly partners in caring.
Ways you can help as an SOTM volunteer
- Become a Mentor
- Become a Life Skills Group Supporter
- Become a Peer counselor or a (Counseling Interns – must be a graduate level student )
- Administrative Function
- Work on our fundraiser committee
While everyone is welcome to become a volunteer, for the safety of our clients, on-Site volunteers at SOTM, Inc. are required to:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Submit a completed SOTM, Inc. volunteer application with all attachments.
- Submit a copy of your driver’s license and social security card to be used for a criminal background check.
- Pass a tuberculosis test. Volunteers must submit a recent negative TB test results before application is considered complete.
- Attend a volunteer orientation session.
STEP 1: Complete Volunteer Application
Criminal Background Check – All SOTM employees and volunteers are subject to a criminal background check conducted by the Volunteer Center of North Texas.
For anyone having contact with youth-per government regulations and requirements we conduct the following:
County Criminal Record; State Criminal Record; Federal Criminal Record; Sexual Predator Registry; Wants and Warrants
DHHS Registry (Department of Health and Human Services); Social Security Verification
Once your application has been processed our Volunteer Coordinator will contact you about upcoming orientations.
STEP 2: Attending Orientation
The goal of orientation is to teach potential volunteers about the agency’s structure, the programs and services offered, and to help them determine what volunteer opportunity best fits their schedule and interests. Once you have turned in your completed volunteer application, you will be contacted to schedule your Orientation held monthly 2nd Thursday.
STEP 3: Complete Appropriate Training
Volunteer training is available to any potential volunteer who has completed step one and two. You will complete the appropriate training for your specific volunteer functions.